Tuesday, January 31, 2012

Easy Sew Curtains

Want to learn how to sew curtains? Sewing curtains yourself can save you loads of money! I love this easy DIY it gives you a lot of bang for you buck. Curtains add so much pizazz to a space. So let's get started on how I did this. Again, I'm not a seamstress and have very little sewing experience so if I can do it, you can to.
First off my ceilings are 8' so I got 6 yards of fabric, 3 yards for each side of the window. My fabric was 54" wide.

What you will need for this project is:
Fabric
Iron
Pins
Ruler or measuring tape
Sewing machine
Cordinating thread (I used a light cream)
Scissors

Okay let's get started, wash your fabric if it's machine washable. You want to pre-shrink your fabric. You don't want any of your seams to pucker so this is an important step. Then Iron all of the fabric.

Next, I just laid out my fabric and folded it in half. Then cut right down the middle so I had two panels of 3 yards. You  might be able to have the fabric store do this step for you.

Then I took the sides Folded over 1.5" ironed and measured as I went along to make sure it was accurate. You can make this hem as big or little as you want. I chose 1.5" because I like the way it looked. Then fold over one more time and iron and pin as you go. Your edges will look like this. Then repeat the same steps on the other side.


When you come to the edge you don't have to back stitch this one, because you'll be folding up both hems on each side.
Then it's time to sew your top. I did mine with a 3" hem to fit my rod.
Next iron and pin again, at this point I was squealing with delight because it was sooo easy. I kept thinking I can do this, I can do this. Plus I only managed to burn myself once with the iron, if you know me at all, I burn myself on everything. I usually burn myself on kitchen appliances I think I've been burned by all of them even the dishwasher, yes I didn't even know that was possible.

Now just sew up the top hem on the edge leaving enough space for you rod. I don't know what I was thinking but I didn't take any pics for the bottom hem. Basically it's the exact same thing as the top hem. Once I had the top done, I hung them up and then pinned at the bottom where I wanted them. I did a 7" bottom hem and I left mine a bit longer then usual. I like curtains to graze the floor, I normally wouldn't have them this long. I left mine a bit longer because I might be moving and need the extra length. That way I can always unpick the hem and have a little extra fabric.  You can sew your hem anywhere from 3-7" is fine. One more thing, when hanging your curtain rod if you put it all the way up to the ceiling and to the sides of the window it will make you space seem bigger!
Your done sewing! Congrats you did it, now take a step back pat yourself on the back and admire you new curtains, I know I did.










The DIY Dreamer
Pin It

8 comments:

  1. They look great! I need to get to work on something for my living room.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It looks great! I love chevron patterns...why don't I have any in my home??? Great tutorial!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the patter and colour.. Your curtains look gorgeous!! Awesome tutorial..

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thanks so much for joining us on "Strut Your Stuff Saturday." We loved having you and hope to see you back next Saturday with more of your ideas!! -The Sisters

    ReplyDelete
  5. The curtains are AMAZING!!!!!!!!!! I want to make some!! I need new windows first :)

    Would you PRETTY PLEASE post this on my Linky Party please?
    http://thediydreamer.blogspot.com/2012/02/from-dream-to-reality-linky-party-3.html

    ReplyDelete
  6. These look amazing! I'd love to have you link them up to my party at http://scrapbookingez.blogspot.com/2012/02/anything-goes-linky-party_16.html. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  7. They look great! I made the same ones for a nursery I worked on.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Thank you so much for this great tutorial. I gave you a link back in my blog: http://www.heypaulstudios.com/wwwheypaulstudioscom/blog/

    ReplyDelete